Re: [Nmh-workers] I'm confused

2012-09-13 11:19:23
Norm wrote:

I'm working on the attach, alist, detach, etc. write up. So I'm
exploring them some.

So clearly quite a few bash constructs are allowed. So, I had
thought that the code somehow invoked bash (or csh or whatever)
itself to do the parsing, but I guess I was wrong.

The code does use the user's shell (${SHELL-/bin/sh}).  So the
documentation shouldn't rely on whatever that is.

Let's assume the user's shell is bash.  whatnow does this:

  bash -c "ls <args>;"

where <args> are your args to attach.

It then prepends the current working directory to each
relative pathname in the result.

So the newlines in your file are getting in the way.
Maybe separate the names with spaces instead?  Or there
might be a way to quote things, but that could get ugly.

Note that spaces and so on in filenames might cause grief,
too.  They must be escaped:

  What now? attach foo\ bar

or

  What now? attach foo*bar