Re: [Nmh-workers] I'm confused

2012-09-14 10:24:49
David Levine <levinedl(_at_)acm(_dot_)org> writes:
Norm wrote:

I'm working on the attach, alist, detach, etc. write up. So I'm
exploring them some.

So clearly quite a few bash constructs are allowed. So, I had
thought that the code somehow invoked bash (or csh or whatever)
itself to do the parsing, but I guess I was wrong.

The code does use the user's shell (${SHELL-/bin/sh}).  So the
documentation shouldn't rely on whatever that is.

Let's assume the user's shell is bash.  whatnow does this:

bash -c "ls <args>;"

where <args> are your args to attach.

It then prepends the current working directory to each
relative pathname in the result.

But before that, it has to parse the "result", a string, into path names. How
does it do that. That is, what is the path separator? According to the comment
on
lines 436 et. al. of uip/whatnowsbr.c in the 1.5 source tree, the path separator
is a single new line. Correct?

    Norman Shapiro