Re: [Nmh-workers] I'm confused

2012-09-14 14:54:04
Lyndon Nerenberg writes:

On 2012-09-14, at 12:14 PM, Jon Steinhart wrote:

All you need to do is figure out how to track the current working directory!

The back end programs would exec() from the CWD, so they could
pwd(1)/getcwd(3)
as required.  Obviously 'cd' must remain a built-in command, just as in the
shells.
Is there another use case I'm not seeing?

The rest of the commands could be stripped out as standalone commands under
(say) /usr/local/nmh/libexec/whatnow.  And then, anything typed at the whatnow
prompt would exec() /usr/local/nmh/libexec/whatnow/<cmd>, passing any
arguments
uninterpreted to the command.  This would let sites not only customize the
existing
commands, but also to add their own.

A user profile element would let people override the default
.../libexec/whatnow
directory with one of their own choosing.

--lyndon

Sounds good to me.  Wish I had thought of it.

Jon