Re: [Nmh-workers] Email access while traveling?

2012-10-24 18:02:29

Jerrad Pierce <belg4mit(_at_)pthbb(_dot_)org> wrote:

    JP> It's definitely practical on a tablet, Hacker's Keyboard +
    JP> ConnectBot is very usable.

TerminalEmualtor + debian chroot is even better.
BEST: you can install emacs + NMH on the tablet.

I have replaced my 8-year old Thinkpad with an ASUS TF300
(rooted with CM10 within hours of receipt). I'm on a train typing
this email on it.  (Yes, train has wifi, but even if it was reliable,
the latency sucks for interactive stuff due to excessive FEC on the
backhaul radio channel)

I have a desktop computer at home, and at work.  They are debian
machines with basically an identical install as I used to have on my
laptop (which used to travel back and forth with me in my saddlebag)

This is what I do.

For regular use, I ssh into my home system from the office and run
gnuclient -nw in a window.  That's my email window.  I use
gnome-terminal which lets me click on links and have them open up
locally.  okay, I lose some of the beauty of a full Xemacs21.
I keep thinking that sshfs with appropriate caching ought to give me
something lose to what AFS and NFSv4 had always promised (but I never
saw), and let me run nmh locally, but so far it's not the case.
Then I could also run exmh, which I remember fondly, but gave up, once I
realized that I spent 75% of email time in emacs anyway.

I fetch my gmail, sandelman.ca, credil.org and accounts from my
CREDIL sponsor employers locally with fetchmail+rcvmail recipe.
I don't run this from cron or anything... that's based up the theory
that email shouldn't interrupt you, so I invoke it to poll when I have
idle cycles.

For irregular out-and-about I have both my tablet and my Android G2
setup to poll gmail.  Only things that go to gmail is generally nagios
stuff.  I use the Google GMAIL app for that, and tell it to leave email
on server.

I also use the stock Email (K9 on tablet) to talk POP3 with leave email
on server option against my inbox(es).  This lets me see important email
over 3G if I want to.  I have told those clients not to poll or
interrupt me.

I built a new mail server a few months ago, and I installed cyrus IMAP
before I realized that it didn't do MH folders.  I will likely install
IW-IMAP on my desktop system for remote access to folders.

--
Michael Richardson
-on the road-