Re: [Nmh-workers] Email access while traveling?

2012-10-23 16:01:35
kevin wrote:
One problem I have more and more often with running nmh in a
terminal is that people and systems frequently send messages
encoded as html or in the Microsoft variant of quoted-printable.
Neither of these is very usable in my terminal windows.  I think
that's likely because I haven't kept up on my MIME definitions
in my MHN config file.  Maybe I should unhook all my stale stuff
and see what the latest version of nmh (which I'm running) can do
with these formats.

i deal with those with a couple of wrappers.  my normal mhn.defaults
file excludes a rule for text/html, to force mh to dislay plain text
if it's available.

if i need to see the html, i use either "phtml" or "phtml_dump", to
run a text browser on the message -- which of those i use depends on
whether i want a live text browser or just a text dump of the contents
(since sometimes i want to see the footnote-style link display of the
"dump" format).

phtml:
  echo "mhshow-show-text/html: %p/usr/bin/links -force-html '%F'" >
/tmp/mhn.conf
  MHSHOW=/tmp/mhn.conf mhshow $*

phtml_dump:
  echo "mhshow-show-text/html: %p/usr/bin/lynx -verbose -force_html '%F' -dump
| less" > /tmp/mhn.conf
  MHSHOW=$Mail/mhn_dump.conf mhshow $*

(i'm not sure why one of those uses links and the other lynx.  oh well.)

paul