Re: [Nmh-workers] colorized/highlighted scan output?

2012-11-01 21:25:32
David Levine <levinedl(_at_)acm(_dot_)org> writes:
Ken wrote:
My issue is straightforward and doesn't require any user-visible
changes, but I am thinking your issue might.  I am wondering if
you've thought about how you'd make this work; maybe a format escape
that says, "Don't count these characters against the width total?"
Or something else?

I was thinking of looking for ANSI sequences and not counting
them.  But I don't know if that could get into trouble with
multibyte characters.  mbtowc() is too much of a mystery to me.

That format escape would avoid the issue.

+1 for a "don't count this" format escape.  I don't think scan should be
assuming anything about what the terminal might take to be an escape
sequence.  They're not that well standardized.

                        regards, tom lane