Re: [Nmh-workers] colorized/highlighted scan output?

2012-11-02 16:55:09
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

But if someone else is motivated
to make nmh be able to look like modern "ls", "grep" and "vi" (vim)
then, I suggest, so be it.

We should be silly because other people are silly?  Now *that's* silly :-P

There is nothing silly about colorizing.

I think a distinction needs to be made between a terminal-based
interface vs a graphical one, so using something like exmh is not
applicable if just using a terminal.

I find it amusing that someone would imply that syntax highlighting
(i.e. vim) is silly.  It makes reading code much easier and I use Vim
daily in terminal windows.  I use it more in that mode than in in GVim
since I tend to connect to systems via ssh terminals w/no X-Windows
environment.

Adding color can greatly improve readability of data, and saying it does
not ignores the basics of human perception.

Pretty much every modern terminal (emulator) supports color, so more
power to those that want to do add color to scan output.

--ewh