Re: [Nmh-workers] colorized/highlighted scan output?

2012-11-03 08:44:56
ralph wrote:
Hi Ken,
I just looked; ls, at least, hardcodes the ANSI sequence strings into
the code (hm, so does grep).  I don't know if that's standard practice
or not; somehow doing that still sticks in my craw.

There is dircolors(1) to help set LS_COLORS for ls(1) to read, e.g.
`dircolors --print-database', but I agree with disliking hard-coding
ANSI escape sequences.

i'm sure that's a result of ls and grep coloring having been
implemented in the post-ascii-terminal era, i.e., after everything was
already either a PC console screen or an xterm.  it never would have
lasted so long "back in the day".

it's ugly, i agree.  but on the other hand, that, and the willingness
of people here to embed ANSI sequences in their scan formats or their
sed/awk scripts, kind of means that full generality might not really
be necessary anymore.  (not that generality is much more expensive than
the hard-coded solution.)

ken -- why do scan and inc already link against termcap?

paul
p.s.  free to a good home:  one Lear Siegler ADM-3A.  works, though i
think the keys probably needs cleaning.  haven't used it much lately.

Cheers, Ralph.