Re: [Nmh-workers] colorized/highlighted scan output?

2012-11-02 14:06:55
Hi,

David wrote
While terminfo or something higher level, more generic, etc., would be
nice, we're so close now to supporting ANSI escapes that I'd like to
(and am going to :-) get them to work.  It doesn't preclude adding
something else, of course.

I'd worry implementation is rushing ahead of requirements.  Yes, other
solutions can be added in over time, and we'll have an even more messier
system that's more off-putting to occasional users than now.  How about
sticking to the bare bones;  what's necessary to output arbitrary bytes
without upsetting the idea of column position.

We already have \-processing, though output functions like putstr strip
them.

    $ scan -format '%(lit a\tb\bc)' last | cat -A
    a b c$
    $

How about adding \x1b to that with a new zputstr function that doesn't
adjust column or filter the string.

Aiming for `I'd like the subject in cyan' trips on so many hurdles, e.g.
palettes differ between profiles for the same terminal.

Cheers, Ralph.