Re: [Nmh-workers] colorized/highlighted scan output?

2012-11-03 18:34:16
Hi Lyndon,

You can get the sequences out of terminfo without having to use the
full blown curses interface. (tparm() if memory serves).

Agreed.

    $ tput setb 3 | hd
    00000000  1b 5b 34 36 6d                                    |.[46m|
    00000005
    $

And by using terminfo, you make this work with more than just xterm.

Which is good.

You also make it possible for the end user to customize the behaviour
(through custom terminfo files and their own $TERM definitions).

I have a ~/.terminfo/x/xterm, so I'm in favour.

But it limits them to colour-setting terminfo entries.  Surely the first
step is to allow an arbitrary binary string through as it permits
everything;  the user can decide how to wangle what they want into the
format file.  Patterns of usage that arise can have dedicated syntax if
deemed popular enough, or is someone adds to the growing code base.  :-)

Cheers, Ralph.