Re: [Nmh-workers] inc, slocal, procmail, ...

2013-01-08 15:03:59

On 08 Jan 2013, at 11:30, Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:

One thing to keep in mind when thinking about that line is that inc is
typically synchronous, where our use of fetchmail/procmail (or whatever)
is asynchronous. By the time we step up to MH, everything is already in
a folder or in the local maildrop ready for +inbox (or already in
+inbox). I don't want to have to wait for inc to go to my remote server.

I just timed inc ... to go to my POP server, which included Kerberos
authentication (4 extra round trips), download a small test message
(session was encrypted), write it out (to a network filesystem, no less),
and exit, it took:

       0.04 real         0.01 user         0.00 sys

Are you really THAT impatient, Bill? :-)  Ok, fine ... going across the
global internet for all that will be a lot worse.  But most of the time
I never notice it unless there's a problem.

Bill has been known to use a satellite modem from a boat in the Pacific, so
he might care about network latency more than most. :-)

Is there still interest in offline IMAP support for NMH? That was eventually
a killer for me.

~Chad