Re: [Nmh-workers] inc, slocal, procmail, ...

2013-01-20 18:28:11
chad <yandros(_at_)MIT(_dot_)EDU> writes:

On 08 Jan 2013, at 11:30, Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:

One thing to keep in mind when thinking about that line is that inc is
typically synchronous, where our use of fetchmail/procmail (or whatever)
is asynchronous. By the time we step up to MH, everything is already in
a folder or in the local maildrop ready for +inbox (or already in
+inbox). I don't want to have to wait for inc to go to my remote server.

I just timed inc ... to go to my POP server, which included Kerberos
authentication (4 extra round trips), download a small test message
(session was encrypted), write it out (to a network filesystem, no less),
and exit, it took:

       0.04 real         0.01 user         0.00 sys

Are you really THAT impatient, Bill? :-)  Ok, fine ... going across the
global internet for all that will be a lot worse.  But most of the time
I never notice it unless there's a problem.

Heh heh. That's pretty impressive.

Bill has been known to use a satellite modem from a boat in the Pacific, so
he might care about network latency more than most. :-)

:-). We just spent a week on a boat in the Caribbean (diving on the
Cayman Islands) and wireless Internet was expected. Not so just ten
years ago. But these days my network latency isn't that bad.

Is there still interest in offline IMAP support for NMH? That was eventually
a killer for me.

~Chad

Bill Wohler <wohler(_at_)newt(_dot_)com> aka
<Bill(_dot_)Wohler(_at_)nasa(_dot_)gov>
http://www.newt.com/wohler/
GnuPG ID:610BD9AD