Re: [Nmh-workers] Pasing stdin to "inc -file" ?

2013-02-18 20:29:11
I removed that notice from the man page after 1.5 went out.
However, I shouldn't have.  Ken added locking to the context
and sequences files nearly a decade ago.  That addresses
file mangling during write, but not possible interaction with
other nmh processes.

I did?  When I went back and looked it really looked like that was
Richard Coleman.

Maybe, I found 82a21b6f3c but it's just the merge.

But nevertheless ... what interactions are there with
other nmh processes?  Are we talking about possible message overwrites?

No, just this:

(I can maybe believe that there might be a race condition somewhere with
some of the new messages not making it on the unseen sequence).

The entire read/update/write progression of the sequences
file isn't protected.  So if multiple processes do that
concurrently, only one can win the race.

David