Re: [Nmh-workers] Pasing stdin to "inc -file" ?

2013-02-15 20:29:52
Can't you use rcvstore for this?

I don't know.  Can I?

This (rcvstore) is yet one more thing that I never even knew about until
today.

So, some meta-observations ...

As others have alluded, inc is a tool designed to be run interactively
by humans (although many times it's being run by a front-end program).
It's got a fair amount of logic in it that isn't really appropriate for
asynchronous background use (example: basically incorporates all of scan(1).
Also, on the backend it actually uses most of the scan routines for I/O).

The tool you want it rcvstore(1); it's designed to take a message on
standard input and incorporate it into a folder.  If you're concerned
about it modifying the context, well, assuming by "context" you mean
the current folder and 'cur' message, the answer is that it does not do
that.  It _does_ modify the unseen sequence, but you can turn that off
if you prefer.

As others have mentioned, slocal(1) performs the same function as procmail;
it's designed to be called from a forward file.  It's not as featureful
as procmail, however.

(It would have been Nice, I think, if the SEE ALSO section of the man
page for inc had mentioned this one.)

So, we're probably not so great on documentation here; most of this was
inherited from the original MH package, and a lot of us old-timers don't
appreciate how it's hard to come to nmh cold.  So I, for one, do appreciate
the feedback.

Sorry to be so helpless, but as all can see now, I'm actually rather
seriously ignorant, both about anything but the most rudimentary features
of procmail and also, apparently, about all but the most fundamental
commands provided by nmh.

Well, have you seen the O'Reilly MH book?  It's been open-sourced by
Jerry Peek (the original author).  While it hasn't been kept up-to-date
with respect to new features in nmh, it's got a ton of information
that's still relevant:

        http://rand-mh.sourceforge.net/book/

It might help fill in some of the gaps.  Do we have a link to that on
the nmh home page?  Ok, we do.