Re: [Nmh-workers] Type in the mark man page

2013-03-25 20:07:30

norm(_at_)dad(_dot_)org wrote:
David Levine <levinedl(_at_)acm(_dot_)org> writes:
Norm wrote:

The mark man page (version nmh-1.5) has:

    'As expected, the command "mark -sequence foo -delete all" deletes the
sequence "foo" from the current folder.'

I think that what is meant is

    'As expected, the command "mark -sequence foo -delete all" deletes all
the messages in the current folder from the sequence "foo".'
When I first read that, I started to think that it deletes
messages.  When I got to the "from" clause, that impression got
fixed.  But I think it's confusing.

And the current wording is correct.  What don't you like about it?

I read that wording at least four times before sending my Email. Each
time, I read it as meaning:

      'As expected, the command "mark -sequence foo -delete all" deletes
      [all the messages in] the sequence "foo" from the current folder.'

me too, until i realize this is the "mark" command which alters
sequences, not the "rmm" command which delete messages.

Yes, the present wording is confusing. At least, it confused me. Observe, that
everywhere else in that man page "delete" means delete messages, so maybe I'm
entitled to a bit of confusion.
i think the wording is sloppy as it is.