Re: [Nmh-workers] Relative Message Numbers

2013-04-06 20:48:05

On 2013-04-06, at 6:31 PM, Bill Wohler wrote:

But how do you set or track state on a modeless set of command-line tools?

Add a profile entry to the context file?

It still gets very complicated.  Where is the use case that mandates this be
supported in the core tools, vs. providing the hooks for the end user to
implement their own threading model?

I don't accept "it's hard" as an answer.  If someone can only deal with an easy
solution, pretty much every other MUA out there already serves their needs.  If
we are going to fix this, it needs to be done in a way that's programmatically
friendly, and which exposes all of the message and folder structure in a way
that makes it possible for people to write powerful and complex thread
manipulators.

And given an expressive interface, it's trivial to write the simple set of
tools that most people equate with 'thread' manipulation.  (Which is most cases
is simple Subject header sorting.)

--lyndon