Re: [Nmh-workers] files created by Fcc header always have mode 0600

2013-05-03 14:48:41
First off ... wow, two messages from people I've never seen before within
two days!  It's like a nmh renaissance!

Platform: nmh-1.5 on Solaris 10 SPARC

Is the intended behavior of an Fcc header that
the files it writes always have mode 0600,
regardless of other settings?

It looks like ... the answer is "no".

Your analysis of the situation is correct; the temporary file is
explicitly chmod'd to 0600 (which seems like the right thing to do).
But it seems to me that perhaps the right thing to do here is have
refile take care of fixing the permissions.  What do others think?

--Ken

When I use comp with an Fcc header, the file written
to the Fcc folder always have mode 0600.

My umask is 022, and in .mh_profile I have:
Msg-Protect: 0644
Folder-Protect: 0755

I expected the file written to the Fcc folder to
have mode 0644 rather the 0600 I I actually see.

It looks like post gets called, creates a temp file (MAILDIR/postXXXXXX)
with permission 0600, then performs chmod(0600) on that file,
then later calls refile to link that temp file into the Fcc folder.

I see that post(1) says that post doesn't read mh_profile,
so it's no surprise that Msg-Protect isn't used.

Irwin Tillman