Re: [Nmh-workers] Weird behavior with non-ascii code in headers

2013-06-26 16:36:28
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 14:06:16 -0400, Ken Hornstein said:

- Just out of curiousity ... what was the mailer that the original sender
  used?  Whatever the original message author used doesn't excuse us
  from doing a better job, of course.

Examination of the e-mail headers shows that it apparently originated inside
GMail's webmail interface, hit a Mailman-based mailing list, on an Exim box,
our edge Sendmail box, a Mirapoint appliance, then Gmail again, from whence it
was fetched by my laptop (fetchmail,sendmail, then nmh rcvstore).  Near as I
can tell, the GMail user had their account configured with an iso8859 char in
the fullname, and since it looks like it was sent with 8BITMIME the whole way,
nothing ever noticed the lack of encoding on the RFC822 header. (Sendmail, and
thus the Mirapoint, will auto-convert to 8-bit, but add a header that wasn't
present in this message, so if anybody autoconverted to 8-bit silently it was
Google or the Exim box).

Yeah.  I know what you're thinking - everything in that path is pretty
sane and should be smarter than that. :)