Re: [Nmh-workers] Weird behavior with non-ascii code in headers

2013-06-30 19:43:50
There's a difference between "having a hard time" and
"knowing that it cannot possibly happen".  You may be right,
but I'd like to see a stronger statement.  If there's some
doubt, then I don't think it's worth the risk.  This
shouldn't occur often, and I don't see any problem with
letting the user deal with it.

Well, I was trying to be charitable ... but let me say something stronger.
I do not see any way this attack could possibly succeed.

An "attack" doesn't have to be malicious, it can be
user/programmer/whoever error.

I guess in my mind an attack is something that is deliberate and malicious,
but that's just semantics.  Moving on ...

My concern is that something like boss=?utf8?Q?=2cX=excluded,
where X is a invalid UTF byte, will get converted to
boss=?utf8?Q?=2c?=excluded, which is a legal encoding of
boss,excluded.  If you can guarantee that kind of thing won't
ever happen in an nmh draft, great.

I guess I don't really see why someone would do: