Re: [Nmh-workers] Locking. Horrible, horrible, locking ...

2013-06-30 20:14:06
On 30 June 2013 at 20:50, Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>wrote:

But I'll give you a concrete example: the filesystem that I use for
$HOME only works right if you use lockf(), but that's a lousy choice
in general.

Yes! That's exactly what I was asking for.  What is the filesystem?
What is the OS?  What is the broken behaviour of fcntl/flock/whatever
that required you to use lockf()?  Details!!!  (Please?)

The filesystem in question is AFS (the behavior is uniform across all
platforms).  Short answer is that AFS doesn't support byte-range locking,
so lock calls that aren't lockf() are ignored.

Although ... it looks like a newer version of AFS might support that;
I'm not sure we've upgraded everything here to take advantage of it yet.

--Ken

Ken,

I assume you mean

http://help.unc.edu/help/afs-file-locking-issue/

each user would have to enable the 'k' acl for the directories that are
meant to be locked.  While I *loved* AFS when I was using it daily, there
were some quirks (locking was one of them) that we had to get around.

jerry