Re: [Nmh-workers] base64 and text parts

2013-10-20 00:36:26
On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 23:33:31 -0400, Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu
writes:
I admit being insufficently caffienated at the moment to know whether
this would break S/MIME or PGP, but ISTR that the signatures are done
over a canonical CR/LF.

that's correct; see rfc3156, section 5.
https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3156.txt

I will note that RFC only applies to PGP, but it doesn't really matter
because if you dig around enough you'll find that CR/LF is defined as
canonical line ending for text.

indeed - and i'd go a bit further: if nmh encounters a mail that's
multipart/signed or multipart/encrypted, then it has to leave the whole
thing untouched. (see also section 3 or the above rfc)

I'm not sure I follow that from that section of RFC 3156.  But note that
email stored in MH mailboxes are _not_ in canonical format; they get converted
to Unix format along the way (either by inc or someone else before inc gets
to it).  So it's worth noting that we're going to have to be careful when
it comes to canonicalization.