Re: [Nmh-workers] m_getfld() bug fix

2013-12-08 13:37:16

On Dec 8, 2013, at 11:03 AM, David Levine <levinedl@acm.org> wrote:

Apparently, /usr/xpg4/bin/awk is POSIX compliant.  Can build and
test instructions for nmh on Solaris not state /usr/xpg4/bin needs
to be up the front of PATH?

Yes, but then our buildbot provider, maintainer, and
gracious host would have to actually do that :-)

The only sane way to deal with Solaris is to prepend /usr/xpg4/bin to $PATH.  I
do that in my .profile, so I generally don't run into these POSIX compatibility
issues.  But the buildbot gets started from the equivalent of /etc/rc.local at
boot time, and doesn't get this customization.

My preference would be for the configure script to detect it is being run on
Solaris and fudge $PATH appropriately.  That way we get consistent source
builds on Solaris even when the person building doesn't have the XPG4 tools at
the front of their path.

Well, my *real* preference would be for Solaris to join the 21st century, but I
don't hold out much hope of that happening.

--lyndon