Re: [Nmh-workers] mts.conf that works with fastmail?

2013-12-08 20:44:28
On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 9:28 PM, Ken Hornstein <kenh@pobox.com> wrote:

So I guess the goal is to put everything in .mh_profile, and leave
mts.conf alone. Is that right? If so, I guess I should just restore the
default mts.conf. In particular, should I have mts set to smtp vs
sendmail?

I know your problem is solved, but I wanted to explain this a bit further.

The idea was, a million years ago(*), that you'd never have to adjust mail
server setting on a per-user basis.  So all of that stuff went into
mts.conf
(which generally holds system-wide settings not editable by the end user).

Well, we're a long way from that nowadays.  A lot of commands now have
options to control stuff that was formerly only done via mts.conf, so
a number of things have migrated to .mh_profile.  We still try to keep
a division between global settings and user-specific settings, but that
line is blurrier than it used to be.

Thanks, Ken. I quite understand. I've been around unix systems and around
MH since it was MH and not nmh. (I know ... that makes my ignorance even
more deplorable.) I just assumed that being my own sysadmin, I'd have to
configure mts.conf however was necessary. I'm perfectly happy to configure
these settings via .mh_profile. I think that's a more portable approach
than having to modify system-wide files.

Thanks,
-pd

--
----