Re: [Nmh-workers] Should I learn nmh or GNU mailutils?

2014-02-13 13:26:33
Thanks for the clarifications.
What about ease of use, especially from a newbie perspective?

Well, it's hard for me to speak for GNU Mailutils.  The MH Book (see
previous email) does, IMHO, a pretty reasonable job of walking you through
the initial setup.  The big questions that you'll need to know are:

- How do I retrieve email? (via POP, local spool file, etc)
- How do I send mail? (do I feed it to a local mail program, or do I submit
  it directly over network to a mail server).

That's your major configuration settings.  That stuff has changed a little
since the MH book; the man pages for "inc" and "send" have the details, and
of course you can ask here for more details.

Also, which scripting language would you suggest? Is there already a
repository for nhm scripts?

Well, it depends on what I'm doing.  Generally the stuff I need to wrap
nmh commands in I write in Bourne shell.  The nmh contrib directory
(which is installed as $(prefix)/share/doc/nmh/contrib) has a few things
in it already.