Re: [Nmh-workers] A useless but interesting exercise: Design MH from scratch in the 2014 context

2014-02-22 23:36:31

On Feb 22, 2014, at 21:20, Paul Vixie <paul(_at_)redbarn(_dot_)org> wrote:

given the number of messages in my mail repo whose bodies are in
quoted-printable or base64, or which have attachments that are binary, i've
only been able to access my stored mail, or indeed inbound mail containing
commands of some kind, with perl's "MIME" modules for some time now.

There is nothing that says we cannot undo transport encodings for text/* parts
when we write store a message into a folder.

And despite the prevalence of QP and base64, I still find grep works quite well
for me.  Anything text/* that is all base64 is almost always spam, so the
base64 encoding is actually a 'feature' for me, ensuring the message doesn't
generate a false positive match for what I am really looking for.

If we undid the transport encodings for text/* and converted everything to
utf8, you could then, e.g., alias mhgrep='env LC_ALL=en_CA.UTF-8 grep'.

--lyndon