Re: [Nmh-workers] A useless but interesting exercise: Design MH from scratch in the 2014 context

2014-02-22 23:44:07

Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
If we undid the transport encodings for text/* and converted everything to
utf8, you could then, e.g., alias mhgrep='env LC_ALL=en_CA.UTF-8 grep'.

all true. but there's a strong feeling among MH zealots, of whom i am
one and which feeling i do share, that what gets written to
$HOME/Mail/inbox/42 ought to be the raw BODY that came in over SMTP. i'm
beyond the point of wanting 'anno' dead, since it perturbs this. i'm
reaching the point where the \r\n terminators present in the SMTP
session seem to me like they ought to be kept, but i know the transport
(postfix) strips them before handing off to the local delivery agent.

so while i also want to break down every message into its body and
parts, and build a directory tree for those, and convert all of the text
parts to native filesystem text format... i don't want to do away with
or in any way modify the "message per file" that MH gives me now. "do
both" is not too expensive in this day and age.

vixie