[Nmh-workers] Release engineering updates

2014-03-06 11:22:34
Updating from a list I sent out in February:

My 1.6 release wishlist had:

- Always run mhbuild on outgoing drafts.
- Have mhbuild handle RFC-2047 encoding
- Allow content-transfer-encoding in an mhbuild directive.
- Default to 8bit C-T-E (when required)
- Support RFC 2231 MIME extended parameter encoding and decoding
- Support character set conversion for mhshow(1) using iconv
- Adapt meillo's changes to mhshow(1) so each MIME part doesn't use their
  own pager.
- Not display items marked as "attachment" by default in mhshow(1).
- Maybe make mhshow(1) the default instead of show(1).
- Find a home for MH-V (not necessarily a release blocker).

We've got the first 6 items done!  Well, there are a few minor issues that
David and I have to work out regarding the merge of the RFC 2231 code
and the charset conversion code, but we're working on that.  The pager
stuff I think is pretty simple (but I haven't looked at it).  I think
the attachment handling code in mhshow should be straightforward.  The
last two items we can drop for now.  I did want to get format=flowed
support, but it's been almost 2 years since 1.5 came out, and we're
overdue for a release.  That's just going to have to wait.

The one thing I've been thinking about is we lack an overall document
that describes our MIME support.  It's been getting better, but the
documentation is sort of scattershot.  I was thinking of writing a
nmh-mime(1) (or another section?) describing in brief detail the basics
of reading, replying-to, and composing MIME documents.  Other than
that, and the items listed above ... I'm thinking then it would be time
to start the release cycle for 1.6.  Unless anyone else can think of
something else they want to cram in before releasing 1.6?