Re: [Nmh-workers] Time to branch 1.6?

2014-04-11 16:55:26
Jerrad wrote:

Trying to use mhfixmsg -reformat on some non-multipart text/html
messages sent as quoted-printable, I get the following when run with
-verbose:

mhfixmsg: 120 part 1, insert text/plain part
mhfixmsg: 120 part 1.1, will not decode because it is binary (line length >
998)

And the message is unaltered.

Is it?  That text/plain part should have been inserted.  And the
inserted part should be a text/plain representation of the binary
text.

This is not useful and contrary to the purpose of the tool. The
message is already marked as text, so why is some heuristic bailing
out because it thinks the message is "binary"? It would be most
helpful if such messages were in fact processed.

It's not that it thinks the content is binary, it IS binary
according to RFC 2045.  The problem is that if such content
was decoded, it might not be able to be read back in by the
nmh MIME parser.  While it's possible that long lines might be
OK, I haven't invested the effort to check.  Interested?

It's actually -decodetext, not -reformat, that's refusing.  It
supports 7bit and 8bit (the default), but not (yet) binary.

David