Re: [Nmh-workers] warning when attaching rfc822 message

2014-04-13 20:29:15
On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 7:55 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

Either you upgrade the top-level encoding, or you downgrade the
encoding of the encapsulated message/rfc822.

Correct, with the former likely the preferred method unless you know
that the transport/delivery systems has problems with 8bit encoding.

But something is nagging
me that says the message/rfc822 cannot be binary, regardless.  I will
have to slog my way through the relevant RFCs again to satisfy my
doubts.

7bit, 8bit, and binary are allowed for message/rfc822.  No other
encoding is allowed:

  No encoding other than "7bit", "8bit", or "binary" is permitted for
  the body of a "message/rfc822" entity. The message header fields are
  always US-ASCII in any case, and data within the body can still be
  encoded, in which case the Content-Transfer-Encoding header field in
  the encapsulated message will reflect this. Non-US-ASCII text in the
  headers of an encapsulated message can be specified using the
  mechanisms described in RFC 2047.

          --- RFC2046, Section 5.2.1

--ewh