Re: [Nmh-workers] warning when attaching rfc822 message

2014-04-13 21:11:43
Okay, so I looked at this.  It looks like the simplest thing to do
is make init_decoded_content() set a default CTE (probably 7bit is
appropriate).

But 8bit would be safe more often.  Is there any harm nowadays
in saying that a 7bit message is 8bit?

I do not believe so.  But it feels ... inelegant to me.  The closest
the RFCs get to saying anything about it from section 6.2:

   The proper Content-Transfer-Encoding label must always be used.
   Labelling unencoded data containing 8bit characters as "7bit" is not
   allowed, nor is labelling unencoded non-line-oriented data as
   anything other than "binary" allowed.

But the definition of "8bit" encompasses 7bit, and I cannot find
anything that recommends against always using 8bit (unlike, say,
labelling US-ASCII characters always as UTF-8).  But there is already a
framework in scan_content() to check for that, so it's easy to fix it.