Re: [Nmh-workers] Conflict between "mime" command and attach

2014-04-14 11:32:13
Paul Fox writes:
ken wrote:
 > part       text/plain                1020
 > >i don't recall us ever discussing the possibility of making the '#'
 > >character that introduces mhbuild directives configurable by the user.
 > >
 > >for instance, if the leading character were '}', i don't think i would
 > >ever have a conflict with "real" text.
 > >
 > >interpretation of those directives is strictly within mhbuild,
 > >correct?  no leakage into other mh commands?
 >
 > There used to be some leakage; for example, the old attach implementation
 > would parse the Nmh-Attachment headers and then create mhbuild directives.
 > I am not sure there is any leakage now.  But I am not in love with the idea
 > of changing the leading character, because that opens the box for "how
should
 > we do MIME composition, anyway?"  Which is not going to be easy.  As a

i guess i'm not sure how letting a user change the prefix character on
the existing mechanism would make that worse.

(and i'm not talking about 1.6.)

paul

We wouldn't be talking about this if we had a good solution!

My opinion is that having special characters in the body is bad, like crossing
the beams.  It was a good hack at the time but should be put out of our misery.
I think that all MIME composition should be done via headers.  Y'all have done
a bunch of work on my original attachment stuff.  In what way is it not good
enough yet?

Jon