Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh on openbsd...

2014-04-22 20:58:46

On Apr 22, 2014, at 6:37 PM, William Yodlowsky <william(_at_)OpenBSD(_dot_)ORG>
wrote:

I'm not sure what there is to say.  I was hoping to appeal to all of
you; you're adding code to make it build on OpenBSD, but OpenBSD then
needs to rip that out and put other code in to make rcvtty work.  Thus
we both have more work, most people aren't running the codepath you have
written, and we all lose something.

As I hinted at earlier, can we rip the problematic code out to a separate file
that you folks can just replace in your builds?  If it's only utmp[x[, we
should be able to slice that out into a set of wrapper functions defined by a
simple API.  We ship an implementation that uses the POSIX/SusV2, and you folks
can drop in a replacement that works for you.

The 'popularity' argument isn't relevant.  We choose to code to the POSIX/SUS
standards.  But we'll do what we can to make it easy for you folks to make
rcvtty work against your own internal implementation of utmp*.

And I say again: how often does this code change?  We come up with a simple
API, we each write to it once, and put it to bed.  I don't see it changing
again in my lifetime, and maybe not even yours :-)

--lyndon