Re: [Nmh-workers] More fun with charset functions

2014-05-11 14:06:26

On May 11, 2014, at 3:10 AM, Ralph Corderoy
<ralph(_at_)inputplus(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

FWIW, I looked at mutt and it's fallback if the locale is US-ASCII but
the characters are 8bit is to output "unknown-8bit" as the charset.
Seems like a reasonable idea to me.

Isn't that just punting the problem downstream, forcing others to
investigate unknown-8bit, probably with suspicion;  "Is it trying to
trigger some flaw?"?  Better to plug foulness at the source and refuse
to produce it IMO.  I can't see why it's a valid thing to attempt in the
modern day.

I'm with Ralph on this.  After two decades of MIME, it is inexcusable to get
this wrong.

--lyndon