Re: [Nmh-workers] More fun with charset functions

2014-05-11 20:46:01
    Date:        Sun, 11 May 2014 18:36:01 -0400
    From:        Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>

  | Seems to me like looking at what other people do in the area we are weak
  | makes sense.

Yes, it does - provided that the purpose is so at we know what not to do.

What made MH so useful, and caused it to still be around today, was
largely (IMO) that its designers simply ignored the (then) current
mail programs, and did what was right, rather than conforming to what
people were used to.

We should remember that lesson - the vast majority of the mail programs
out there are written by people who know almost nothing about e-mail
(they think they do, because they've used e-mail....) - the few exceptions
(and there are a few mailers written by people who do know e-mail) are
usually constrained by commercial pressure.   Using either of those as
a model for anything will almost always result in poor choices.

Simply do what is right, and long term, the choices will be justified.

kre