Re: [Nmh-workers] More fun with charset functions

2014-05-21 18:55:12
Hi Ken,

The question I put to all of you: who gets to decide what is
"right"?

The RFCs.  They define interoperability.  :-)

Sure, but that's not really the problem we're talking about here.
Eric Gillespie said last month:
Is nmh primarily trying to help users file bugs in other mail
programs, or trying to help users deal with their email?  I say it's
primarily the latter.

Which in my mind is hard to argue with.  In the same email Eric
pointed out that if it was completely hopeless, yes, nmh should give
up ... he was just arguing that we shouldn't be so picky.

I think there's a difference between nmh coping with incoming emails
thrown at it, which IIRC was the discussion when Eric said that, and nmh
spewing "broken" emails because the user has a broken configuration.
The user probably wants to be told so he fixes it.  If it's his real
intention then mhbuild can probably do his warped bidding.

I realise this is all old hat now, but as a general principle I think
there are two distinct cases;  input and output.

Cheers, Ralph.