Re: [Nmh-workers] modernizing smtp message submission

2014-07-09 17:51:00
Hi Ken,

We won't find standards support for it:  465 for SMTPS was revoked
by IANA (in 1998!) and reassigned to another service.  But as long
as AT&T (I know), Verizon (I think), and whoever else require it,
we're stuck with it.

No we're not. Nor should we support it.  The standards-based
alternatives are available and should me used.

Sigh.  I went around and around on this when I implemented it.  The
reality is a) there are some ISPs (not just AT&T) that it's the ONLY
thing they implement,

Is it definitely the only thing AT&T support?  Has David opened a ticket
with them asking why they can't also support the new allocation?  ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMTPS says

    Even in 2013, there are still services that continue to offer the
    deprecated SMTPS interface on port 465 in addition to (or instead
    of!) the RFC-compliant message submission interface on the port 587
    defined by RFC 6409.[6]  Service providers that maintain port 465 do
    so because[7] older Microsoft applications (including Entourage
    v10.0) do not support STARTTLS[8], and thus not the smtp-submission
    standard (ESMTPS on port 587).  The only way for service providers
    to offer those clients an encrypted connection is to maintain port
    465.

Cheers, Ralph.