Re: [Nmh-workers] What about an nmh-1.6-RC1

2014-07-22 21:10:08
On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 21:54:29 -0400, Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>
wrote:

ncurses and libssl (for sasl and tls) come to mind as well.

Well, I'm kinda with Lyndon on this.  ncurses is really something I consider
part of the base OS.  OpenSSL ... I mean, is nmh the only package on your
system that needs that?  SASL, well, I can understand not needing that,
but the alternatives aren't pretty.

I've grown more and more disillusioned by the various Linux distributions
and their 'select a system profile/UI' installation hand holding.  Once you
choose your GUI/system profile - they normally run through a preset list of
packages that get installed.  Openssl should be in place if ssh/sshd is
installed, but ncurses?  Not by default :-( and definitely not the -devel
package (includes, .so, etc).  I now install *everything* in order to avoid
this problem when I do a system installation.

That's pretty basic.  I am surprised that you had to ask IT to install
that much extra stuff.

Keep in mind that CCBs are once a week, so it's not like it was a lot
of libraries.

Um, CCB?  Don't know what that is.

If they wish to be ITIL certified, large organizations (like Bill's NASA)
running centralized servers use CCB (Change Control Boards) that only allow
updates, upgrades, alterations to systems in a controlled fashion - hence
their name.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Change_control_board  though it makes no
reference to ITIL

--Ken