Re: [Nmh-workers] What about an nmh-1.6-RC1

2014-07-22 17:41:04
Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:

It took over four weeks for me to do this very easy task on our CentOS 6
system. Fortunately, they had already installed some more modern
compilation tools, but not all.

1. Ask IT to install git. Go to CCB. Install.
2. Compile, notice that a library is missing.
3. Ask IT to install library. Go to CCB. Install.
4. Go to 2.

We're in a tough spot here.  First, I'm looking over our library
dependency list ... it's should be pretty standard.  Well, there is that
whole Linux lossage about "development" libraries, but we can't really
help that.  I mean, if you look at the list, we should only depend on

- dbm
- termcap/termlib
- iconv (optional)
- readline (optional)

ncurses and libssl (for sasl and tls) come to mind as well.

That's pretty basic.  I am surprised that you had to ask IT to install
that much extra stuff.

Keep in mind that CCBs are once a week, so it's not like it was a lot
of libraries.

Building 1.6 on CentOS 6...

./configure (same as before, but without --enable-lockdir) completes.
Found iconv, did not find readline.
make succeeds.
make check passes.
make install works.

Smoke test:
inc (via MH-E)...check
comp (via MH-E)...check
send (via MH-E)...check
rcvstore...check

Damn, good job folks! Now I can go back to not worrying about locking
(although I was oblivious that I had to worry about it before).

--
Bill Wohler <wohler(_at_)newt(_dot_)com> aka
<Bill(_dot_)Wohler(_at_)nasa(_dot_)gov>