Re: [Nmh-workers] I need to learn more about MIME

2014-09-14 10:19:09
Ralph Corderoy <ralph(_at_)inputplus(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> writes:
Hi Norm,

The problem was that, for reasons I do not remember, Chart.pj had
Microsoft line endings and your "blanks", above includes '\r', and
probably other white space. Confession: It took me an hour to figure
that out.

Useful ways to look for odd bytes in a file ./foo.  One approach is to
delete what you think is valid and see what's left.

tr -d '\012 -~' <foo | od -c

Or look at their frequencies.

$ tr -d '\012 -~' <foo | hexdump -ve '/1 "%02x\n"' | sort | uniq -c
2 0d
1 a3
1 c2
$

`cat -A' can also be helpful.

If you're having trouble tracking down the precise location then ask
grep for byte offsets.

LC_ALL=C grep -Eboa '[^ -~]+' foo | cat -A

Thank you very much for the tutorial.

I have a request (a request, not a demand!). When a command has both a '-'
option and a '--' option for the same feature, use the '--' version in
examples.

Thus:

grep --extended-regexp --byte-offset --only-matching --text

instead of

        grep -Eboa

Of course given a choice of a '-' example or no example at all, I'll take the
former.

    Norman Shapiro