Re: [Nmh-workers] I need to learn more about MIME

2014-09-14 10:44:25
Hi Norm,

tr -d '\012 -~' <foo | od -c

I have a request (a request, not a demand!). When a command has both a
'-' option and a '--' option for the same feature, use the '--'
version in examples.

I take your point, but the problem is...  I don't know the long versions
and my fingers certainly know only the short ones.  Indeed, faced with
`grep --text' I have to scurry off and find out what on earth is meant.
:-)

I quite like Go's standard library's take on things, single - but
multiple letters possible, e.g. -i -verbose -f, but they rule out
combining so no -if, and I think I'd tire of all that ` -'.

Given POSIX eschews long options altogether and the work needed for me
to substitute, I'd rather stick as is.  Oft used single-letter options
often occur in groups anyway, e.g. hexdump's -ve, and I rearrange to
make them look like words for easier recall, e.g. netstat's -tulepn and
rsync's -PacivHAX.

Cheers, Ralph.