Re: [Nmh-workers] What are and what should be the qualifications for a current nmh user

2014-11-12 15:53:52

On Nov 11, 2014, at 5:24 AM, Ralph Corderoy
<ralph(_at_)inputplus(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

  That is, the directory- and file-structure of UNIX is used directly.
   As a result, any UNIX file-handling command can be applied to any
   message.

And that was written in a land where email was unstructured 7-bit ASCII text.
For better or worse, we have moved on.

But even in today's world, I could probably get 95% of the way back to the
glory days if MH message files were stored on disk (1) in a decoded format
(undo q-p and base64 for all text/* parts), and (2) all charset encoded text
canonicalized to utf-8 (including the headers, in violation of the specs).

With that as a base, I could hack my usual text processing tools to use Pike's
structural regular expressions[1] instead of the POSIX ones.  SREs have the
ability to match across multiple lines of text, so you can do things like match
on an entire MIME subpart and back-reference against just the contents.
Incredibly powerful.

--lyndon

[1] See http://netlib.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/doc/87/3-se.ps.gz for Pike's
introduction to SREs, and