Re: [Nmh-workers] better HTML rendering for selective emails

2014-12-20 14:28:30
Michael Richardson <mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca> writes:
I use mh-e under GNU Emacs. (I used to run Xemacs).
HTML rendering is okay, and 99% of the time, I prefer the text/plain anyway.
But when I need it, I need it bad, and I forw -mime to my gmail account.
(Talking HTML emails with tables. The worst offender is a status report *I*
wrote.  HTML tables was the right answer)

I am looking another solution.
I have tried exmh, but it's not really better.
So I'm back to thinking about an IMAP server on top of MH (running on my
desktop) plus thunderbird running wherever, read-only access is just fine,
and it comes to UW-IMAP as the best solution.   I just want to be sure I'm
picking the best solution here.

Another solution would extract the HTML into a file, and then tell my web
browser (which, if I'm SSH'into my desktop, is the browser on the machine I'm
SSH'ed *from*) to load that HTML file.

FWIW, exmh has an ability to do effectively that, ie, pass off html chunks
to a browser for rendering.  I generally don't use it so I'm not sure how
smooth it is, but I remember that it's there.

What I do use a lot in exmh is the ability to pass off a link to a browser
to open.  I had to do some additional scripting to get this to work in the
case that I care about (exmh is talking to an X server on my Mac laptop,
but the browser I like is OS X Safari which doesn't know from X events,
so I've got a shim in there to translate to AppleEvents).

You could probably jury-rig something similar without bothering with exmh.

                        regards, tom lane