Re: [Nmh-workers] semantics of mhshow -type and -part

2015-02-02 07:35:28
david wrote:
Paul F. wrote:

as an aside, i actually think "the sender's ranking" is a highly
overrated, and possibly even obsolete concept these days, RFCs
notwithstanding.

I'm not sure about that.  My phone seems to handle it
(multipart/alternative) nicely.

and nmh does (or could) too, right now, if we were all willing to hand
html mail to our browsers for display.  but most of would prefer to
see text/plain over text/html, or perhaps even choose which based on
sender.  i'd like to see that made easier than it is now, because
while its nice to know what the "sender" would prefer me to look at,
that preference can be difficult for me to accomodate.

On the other hand, I have been getting emails with text/html and
text/plain in a multipart/related.  But those two text parts
appear to be just different representations of the same content,
so they really should be in a multipart/alternative.  I had been
thinking that these are mistakes.  But now I wonder if that's
the sender's way of punting the choice to the recipient.

does it matter?  again, this suggests that we need better mechanisms
for choosing among alternative mime parts in ways that are somewhat
independent of the sender's supposed preference.

paul

mhshow shows both, which is a bit annoying.  Could we do better
by default?  I've been relying on -type text/html, which is OK.

My phone shows the first inline and makes the others available
as attachments, even if they all have inline disposition.  That
doesn't seem right.

David