Re: [Nmh-workers] mhshow: unable to convert character set of...

2015-02-06 09:37:36
Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:
.

Now, the thing that David and I don't understand is ... what, exactly,
is the problem with setting an UTF-8 locale?  I kind of thought you had
to work to make that not happen, but maybe some systems don't make that
the default.  If it's just generic grousing about how you didn't have
to do that before ... okay, fine, I get that.  I wish we could make it
so no one ever had to change anything to make nmh work every time a new
version comes out (I know Jon Steinhart doesn't believe me, but it's
true! :-) ). But the previous nmh behavior was so wrong we really didn't
have much of a choice here.  If there is some reason you can't set the
locale, we'd be intersted in hearing about it.  But seriously, if your
terminal can handle UTF-8 fine, you _should_ have an UTF-8 locale set.

Under Linux, setting the Locale is tricky, because setting several different
environment variables effectively sets the Locale. I had that problem due to a
decade's old setting that I had long since forgotten. David Levine found the
problem. I could never have found it myself. To this day, I don't know the
reason for the ancient setting.

    Norman Shapiro