Re: [Nmh-workers] mhshow: unable to convert character set of...

2015-02-06 09:54:49
Under Linux, setting the Locale is tricky, because setting several different
environment variables effectively sets the Locale. I had that problem due to a
decade's old setting that I had long since forgotten. David Levine found the
problem. I could never have found it myself. To this day, I don't know the
reason for the ancient setting.

We're kind of stuck here using the POSIX locale implementation.  As I
recall, the issue is some variables (LANG) are used if you don't set
specific variables (the one you really care about is LC_CTYPE) and LC_ALL
overrides everything.  nmh is probably one of the few applications that
deals with characters from different character sets in the normal course
of things, so we actually need to know the local character set you support
so character set conversion can be performed.  I'm open to hearing how
we can improve ... yes, just doing substitution for failed character
conversions is on the list.