Re: [Nmh-workers] Emails being tagged as spam -- NMH solution???

2015-03-01 16:01:54
On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 08:35:02 -0500 David Levine <levinedl@acm.org> sez:

Bob wrote:

[Ken:]
If your mts.conf has a setting of "sendmail/smtp" or
"sendmail/pipe" for "mts", you can temporarily override that
via the -mts switch (you want smtp for the MTS).

What program do I use -mts with?  It is not a valid option for
send(1), at least with version 1.5:

     % send -draft -snoop -server smtp.gmail.com -port 587 -tls -sasl -user
dnc2dnc
     send: -mts unknown

Because that's a 1.6 feature :-)

I'm soooo behind.  B-)

The allowed values for -mts are, without the quotes: "smtp",
"sendmail/smtp" (or "sendmail"), and "sendmail/pipe", per
mh-tailor(5). You succeeded with the default of "smtp". Ken was
just pointing out that because you had tailored your mts.conf
to use another setting, you can override that on the command
line, with 1.6.

The default of "smtp" for the mts is coded in configure.  It
sounds like you're overriding that to be "sendmail".

I checked my install notes, and I didn't note performing any
configure steps.  I simply apt-get-ed the package (I'm running
Ubuntu 13.10 -- yes, I'm REALLY behind B-), and then did the same
for sendmail (which is not installed by default).  The latter
action may have switched things in mts.conf.

Also, while I can specify a server in the /etc/nhm/mts.conf file,
I cannot specify a port.  Is there some way to do so without
needing to explicitly call send(1) with those options?  I couldn't
find anything I could use in ~/.mh_profile

This should work your profile:

    send: -draft -server smtp.gmail.com -port 587 -tls -sasl -user dnc2dnc

That worked!  Thanks!

Or "-port submission".  And you could include -snoop, but I expect
that's just temporary so can be added on the command line.

Is "submission" a port name that is aliased to 587?

As a quick check, after adding a send: line to your profile, it should
show up at the bottom of the output from "send -help".

Yes, it did!

Thanks for posting the details of how you got your direct submission
to gmail to work.  The setup is common to other providers as well.

You're welcome!  Thank you (all) for all your help!

                                Bob