Re: [Nmh-workers] Emails being tagged as spam -- NMH solution???

2015-03-02 21:20:02
There are three occurrences of the following, associated with
    (No client certificate requested)

I'm guessing that those are harmless.

Yeah, I suspect that's from a TLS connection between client and server, and
the client didn't provide a certificate which is normal.

There's also an "spf=softfail" in there.

           spf=softfail (google.com <http://google.com>: domain of
transitioning dnc2dnc(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com <dnc2dnc(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
does not designate 171.67.219.78 as permitted sender)
smtp.mail=dnc2dnc(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com <dnc2dnc(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>;
           dkim=fail header.i=@gmail.com <http://gmail.com>;
           dmarc=fail (p=NONE dis=NONE) header.from=gmail.com
<http://gmail.com>

Note that 171.67.219.78 is smtp-grey.stanford.edu.

Huh.  I'd be interested in looking at the whole Received: header chain,
but maybe I don't understand what is going wrong; it almost seems like
smtp-grey.stanford.edu is the one originating the email and that doesn't
make sense to me, if you're submitting directly to gmail.  But yeah, I
suspect the failing SPF, DKIM, and DMARC tests is what is causing the
problem.

Okay, this header is actually defined in RFC 5451, see here:

        https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5451

But I am still puzzled.