Re: [Nmh-workers] multiple MIME-Version fields

2015-03-05 09:25:35
I'm unhappy the warning has been removed and not let on by default.  I
like to know when I get sent bum emails and complain.  Fix the
Internets!

Ken did get an upstream producer of broken emails to apply his patch
last year IIRC.  A PHP library, perhaps, used by Wordpress.  So it is
worth hearing of these problems.

So, I'm kinda torn about this.  I like the idea of fixing the Internets,
but I feel many times like I'm trying to keep my sand castle together as
the tide is coming in.  Also, we are CLEARLY the exception here ... everyone
else just sucks it up and deals.  It was feasible to fix the Internets
when Marshall Rose could yell at you, but nowadays it's hard to get people
to care (or even to figure out who you need to yell at).

I think a reasonable line to draw is one that distinguishes between
things that benign (it's clear what to do) and things that are not
(it's unclear what to do).  Multiple MIME-Version headers, that all
say the same thing ... that one is pretty clear.  The problem with the
aforementioned Wordpress PHP library was that it marked an enclosing
multipart as having a CTE of quoted-printable; does that mean we need to
apply quoted-printable decoding to all of the subparts?  Every
time I encountered that, the subparts were NOT q-p encoded, so there
was an obvious ambiguity.  But things like missing or doubled semicolons
in parameter listings, we should just ignore those (if what to do is
clear).