Re: [Nmh-workers] Multi-homed postproc, v2

2015-03-12 20:48:13
On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 20:47:10 -0400 Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>
sez:

Hi Bob,

with:  for some reason, bash seems to only save C-1
characters of output, where C is the number of columns in the
xterm in which I'm running the script.

No, I don't think bash does that.

As Ralph pointed out, bash simply does not have anything to do with
truncating the output ... if it's a Unix pipe it's not even involved
(after the file descriptors are established).

Ah, good.  I was quite confused on this point!

Now, there is a wrinkle here.  _IF_ you're using scan(1), by
default it will truncate output at the terminal width.  See the
-width option to scan(1) to change that.  Buuutttt .... IF
you're doing whom(1) on the draft, then a) every email address
ends up on it's own line, and b) whom(1) (really, post(8)) does
NOT truncate the output at the terminal width.  I looked at the
code AND I just double-checked that to make sure.  So it sure
would be interesting to understand exactly what is happening.

That was it!