Re: [Nmh-workers] Stanford disliking my emails -- update + question

2015-04-22 19:03:49
    Date:        Wed, 22 Apr 2015 02:58:33 -0700
    From:        Bob Carragher <dnc2dnc(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>

  | One "help" page proposed the solution of
  | adding an entry with a terminating period -- i.e.
  |
  |      127.0.0.1       localhost ayukawa ayukawa.

If you're going to do that, the first one needs to be the one that's
fully qualified - that's the "official" name in the /etc/hosts format
(other names on the line are just aliases).

Personally I tend to have multiple entries for 127.0.0.1 - the first in
/etc/hosts has the proper host name (and its obvious aliases) and another
has the localhost variations (and then where appropiate, other lines have
other names that I want to also equate with the host in question, either
older names that are still sometimes seen, or role type names like "webserver")

But it seems to me that:

  | Googling generally turns up "enter an FQDN into your /etc/hosts file,"
  | but I don't have a valid FQDN.

is your real problem, and the solution really is simple.   Get one.

There are usually two options - first, most ISPs (and particularly e-mail
suppliers) also supply FQDN's as part of their service - often at no extra
charge (since it costs them nothing).  Of course that way your FQDN would
be tied to the provider, and change whenever you switch providers, but if
all you care about is having one for uses like HELO lines, etc, it would be
fine (you just need to remember to reconfigure when required.)

I doubt google do that (though they might) but you have to be using someone
else for actual connectivity, right?

Alternatively, getting a real domain, all of your own, is easy, and cheap,
and there's no real excuse not to do it (look in the headers of this message,
not From: etc, but the early Received headers, and the message-id, and you'll
see I'm using kre.to which is a properly registered domain - .to isn't by
any means the cheapest place, but it still isn't expensive ... these days there
are lots of possibilities.)

kre